Windows Phone 8 is a growing operating system and is has captured quite some market share in its short duration of presence. And most of the credit for it goes to the budget smartphone running on Windows Phone 8 and that is the Nokia Lumia 520. Available at a very cheap cost and some good enough specs, the 520 has become an international hit and many people own it. Its app base is still growing and is currently the fastest growing app store ever. Being a new eco system, not many people are aware of it yet and so the current users don’t really have an idea as to which apps to install in their phone. Hence we are compiling a list of 10 apps that you must install on your Lumia 520 so that you can have a wonderful smartphone experience and also not miss Android much.
1. 6tag: Instagram for windows has still not arrived and we all need Instagram to share images. So what if there is no Instagram, we have a similar app completely loaded with all the features and functions of Instagram and works seamlessly as an Instagram app. So even with a Windows Phone, you sure won’t be missing out on your Instagram action. Yay!
2. Facebook: Though Windows Phone 8 has a built in people’s hub where you can link in your social networking, still to check out on photos and videos and some more Facebook applications, you will need to actually access Facebook manually. So for that a Facebook app is now available which is exactly similar to the Android and iOS app. So now no more missing out on your favourite updates from your friends and family as well as the game requests. Happy Candy Crushing!
3. Twitter: Even though Twitter is integrated in the people’s hub, still you do need to actually access it to get the feel and experience of using Twitter. So for that the official Twitter app is something that you need for the full Twitter experience on your phone. Follow or unfollow anyone or search for your favourite pals, check their tweets, reply to them or retweet, or share your own tweets, whatever you want. Enjoy the fun of social networking wherever you go.
4. Whatsapp: This is the most used instant messenger service in the entire world with recently it was even released by Whatsapp that they have recorded over 1 billion messages exchanged in a day. This is because it is absolutely free and you can send unlimited messages, images, videos, songs, etc. though it is free for only one year and later you have to pay 55 INR per year, still considering how useful it is, you will happily accept to pay it. The best advantage of this is that, it works on the basis of your phone number and is a cross-platform app. So that means it works on almost every phone so all your friends use it and also it works seamlessly internationally as well. So using this you can also contact your friends out of the country as well for free. Hence it is being pegged as SMS killer.
5. Accuweather: This is a renowned weather app that tells you the current weather and also the forecasts pretty accurately. You can easily reply on it to provide the current temperature of your area and also how the weather forecast is going to be on an hourly basis. So you can check the app out and then plan if you need to carry an umbrella or a coat depending on the weather conditions.
6. Smartshoot: This is an amazing camera app by Nokia. It is a Nokia exclusive app; in this the app takes 5 images at a time. Then you can choose to remove the elements you want or change faces of people among the 5 images that are captured and then by that you can have the perfect group shot every single time. This is a very amazing app considering how Nokia phones have some really amazing camera.
7. Skype: This is a great app for free video calls and voice calls over the internet. Though for the Lumia 520 it won’t be of much use since it does not have a front facing camera, but voice calls are very much possible. This is pretty useful when you have a fast internet connection over Wi-Fi or 3G and do not want to spend your main account balance. So it is another great app considering Skype’s tried and tested quality levels.
8. Netflix: If you love to watch some great movies on the move then you will love this app. In this app you can select any movie that you want to watch for free from a huge selection available in their database. All you need is an internet connection and you can stream high definition movies right onto your device. There are some other movies too which are paid, but surely the free movies can too work just fine for you. You also get the option of subtitles and many more features as well.
9. Transfer My Data: This app is actually more useful than people give it credit for. For instance when you buy a new Lumia, then with this app you can connect to your previous device via Bluetooth and get all your precious data like contacts and messages into your new phone easily in no time. Also you can use this app to transfer your content into your phone from SD cards as well.
10. Zomato: This app is like your local scout who tells you everything about that is in and around your area. So if you happen to be in an unknown location and suddenly your stomach starts rumbling, then you can use this app and search for places to eat and also check out which is the best, what it offers, what are its rating, the cost and also the menu as well. You can also share your review on experience of the place on the app for others to refer to.
We checked out 10 apps that you must install on your Lumia 520. Do note that Lumia 520 is the most basic Windows phone with the smallest specs being an entry level device. Hence all the apps mentioned above will also run on all the other midrange and top range Lumia devices as well and also other Windows phones. Being a new OS, Windows Phone 8 is developing gradually and let us hope that it does soon so that we can have another great option to Android to have a versatile smartphone experience.